Installing TFS2010 on Windows Server 2008, with SQL Server 2008 and WSS 3.0. This post provides a short but detailed instruction on how to install and configure TFS2010. Full installation instructions can be downloaded here :
Download TFS201 Installation Guide
The installation I am performing is a farm installation on a single server. I am installing with full production style security etc, but on a single server. This installation style should allow us to migrate to a multi-server TFS farm more easily in the future. NOTE: There are some additional steps that need to be taken if installing on separate servers (Firewall rules, some permissions are different, etc). see the full installation guide for any differences.
I did a full x86 install, but only because x86 was the default VM template we had It should be pretty much identical for x64 installations, keeping in mind that whatever bitness is used should be used for everything.
1. Windows Server 2008 SP2 x86 (Download Windows Server 2008 SP2 x86)
2. SQL Server 2008 SP1 x86
3. TFS 2010
4. TFS 2010 Power Tools (TFS 2010 Power Tools Download page)
In order to run TFS as a farm (even on a single computer) a number of service accounts should be setup:
1. <TFS10Setup> – This is a local administrator on the TFS and SQL servers. Used to install TFS. Assign Log On Locally permission in Local security policy. Add to local Administrators group on all servers in the farm.
2. <TFS10Reports> – This is the account used to read TFS reports from the report server. Assign Log On Locally permission.
3. <TFS10Service> – This account is used to run the TFS services. Assign Log On As service permission.
4. <TFS10Build> – Account used to run the TFS build service. Assign Log On as Service permission.
5. <TFS10WssService> – Account used to run SharePoint services. Assign Log On As Service permission.
6. <TFS10SqlService> – Account used to run SQL services. Assign Log On as service permission. Also used for the SharePoint Central Administration application pool.
1. Windows Server 2008. I won’t go into the details here. Install, join the domain.
1. Add TFS10Setup account to local administrators group if not already there.
2. Install IIS 7.0, in addition to the default role services, also ensure the following are installed:
– Windows Authentication
– IIS 6 Management Compatibility (and all sub items)
3. Install Windows Server 2008 SP2 (Download Windows Server 2008 SP2)
2. Install SQL Server 2008:
1. Login as a local administrator, using <TFS10Setup> account (this account will then be added as a SQL Administrator too).
2. Double click setup.exe
3. Select New SQL Server Stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation.
4. Select OK, then enter product key, Next
5. Accept license terms and Next
6. Select Install to install setup support files
7. Select Next on setup Support Rules (ignore any firewall warnings).
8. Select the following components to install then Next:
– Database Engine
– Full Text Search
– Analysis Services
– Reporting Services
– Client Tools Connectivity
– Management Tools – Basic & Complete
9. Select Default instance, Next
10. Next on disk space requirements (point this to where you want it installed if the default is not acceptable)
11. On server configuration use the TFS10SqlService account for all accounts and verify automatic startup for all editable services, then Next.
12. On Database Engine Configuration select Windows Authentication, click add current user, (optionally, go to data directories tab to change data file locations), then Next. You can also ensure Latin1_General_AS_CI is selected as the collation. You may need to use an alternate collation if you need to support wide characters or Hiragana/Katakana.
13. On Analysis Services Configuration, click Add Current User, (optionally, go to data directories tab to change data file locations),then Next
14. On Reporting Services Configuration, select Install the native mode default configuration (or Install but do not configure if it is not available). Do not use Sharepoint integrated mode, it is not supported by TFS.
15. On Error and Usage Reporting screen, click Next
16. On Installation Rules, click Next
17. On Ready To Install, review and if OK, click Install.
18. After installation has completed, click Next and Close to end installation.
19. Configure Analysis services to start automatically (via Administrative Tools, Services, recovery tab, ensure Restart The service is set for all failures)
3. Install SharePoint products – only need to do this if you want to use MOSS 2007 instead of WSS or if you are installing on multiple servers. See the installation guide for further details. I used the WSS 3.0 install with TFS.
4. Install TFS2010
1. Login as a local administrator
2. Select the appropriate bitness of TFS for you operating system via the appropriate folder and run the associated setup.exe
3. On Welcome click Next, accept the license terms and click Next
4. On Team Foundation Server page click Install
5. If you are prompted to restart, restart
6. select Launch TFS Configuration Tool checkbox, then Finish
5. Configure TFS:
1. In TFS Configuration Tool click Advanced, then Start Wizard
2. On Welcome screen click Next
3. In SQL Server Instance, type the name of the SQL server or named instance that will host the configuration, I suggest providing a label for the databases in Server Database Label to allow multiple instances on the same DB. I used TFS10 as the label. Click Test to test connectivity.
4. Under Service account use the <TFS10Service> credentials, click Test
5. Under Authentication Method click NTLM and then Next
6. Under web Site click Create a new site named TFS2010-8080 and port 8080. Leave tfs as Virtual Directory, Next.
7. Select Configure reporting for TFS (if you want reporting):
1. Enter the SQL Server name and click Populate URLs, Next
2. Enter SSAS server name and Test, then Next
3. Enter <TFS10Reports> credentials and select Use a different account…Test, then Next
4. Select Configure SharePoint…, use the <TFS10WssService> credentials, Next
5. Select Create a new site collection, enter name (TFS10default) and Next
6. Next to do the install
8. (Optional) Install TFS2010 Team Explorer (TFS2010 Team Explorer Download Page)
9. (Optional) Install TFS2010 Power Tools (TFS2010 Power Tools Download Page)